[fpc-pascal] renaming XML element

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Tue May 4 19:30:33 CEST 2010

Hi,

since I'm only rarely using XML and the DOM unit I have to ask:

I need to rename an element inside an XML tree. I've learned that
elements are immutable in the DOM implementation, so renaming has to be
done by

- makeing a new element with the new name
- copying over the complete subtree (childs, attributes, #text)
- attaching the new element directly after the to be renamed one
- removing the old element node

Is this correct?

And how would I do that using the DOM implementation, I'm really not
sure what methods to use ...

Example
-------
Now:

<doc>
  <oldnode>whatever or nothing</oldnode>
    <child1></child1>
  <nextsibling></nextsibling>
</doc>

Afterwards:

<doc>
  <newnode>whatever or nothing</newnode>
    <child1></child1>
  <nextsibling></nextsibling>
</doc>

All of the nodes except root may have attributes, text content and child
nodes.

Marc

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>