[fpc-pascal] TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Sun May 2 20:10:12 CEST 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2 May 2010 17:17, Marcos Douglas <md at delfire.net> wrote:
>> I need to rewrite a Desktop app, coded in Delphi 7, to Web. The
>
> Some reasons:
>  * Free Pascal is open source (always available and no vendor lock-in)
>  * Free Pascal is free, so can always use latest version at NO cost.
>  * Previous skills from Delphi 7 project can be reused. No need to retrain
>    developers. Saving 1000's in cost.
>  * Previous business domain code can be reused. Saving hundreds of hours
>    in development time.
>  * No runtime or VM is required to run apps (unlike PHP, C# or Java).
>  * Development tools are free and again open source.

* Virtual Private Hosting is really cheap now, largely alleviating the problem
of deploying native executables to web servers like FastCGI, ISAPI, apache_mod, etc.

>> Exists a project open source, in Pascal, here in Brazil. It's call
>> ExtPascal <http://code.google.com/p/extpascal/>. This is a project to
>> code Web apps. It use ExtJS for client and Pascal for server.
>
> I know of many developers or companies using ExtPascal to write web
> apps. I unfortunately have not looked at it yet. I started our CGI
> apps long before I found out about ExtPascal.

I am working on a project now for RIA similar in concept to ExtPascal, but
abstracting out the UI framework with most of the logic executing on the server
so that I can plug in different UI's without touching my model/controller.

I was about 90% finished with the Flex UI layer when the customer whose site I'm
writing, got spooked by all the Apple/Adobe/HTML5 debate that has heated up and
became adamant about not using flash based UI, limiting Flash to playing video
where necesary and using DHMTL for client UI.

So I'm taking advantage of the extra time and refactoring the framework a bit
and implementing a DHTML UI layer now.  We looked at ExtJS as well as YahooUI,
OpenLaszlo and a few of the others and eventually decided on Dojo javascript
tookit, but different UI layers can be plugged in.  Heck, even an LCL or fpGUI
layer is feasible.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee