[fpc-pascal] DWARF2 or DWARF3 debug info

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 13:38:02 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm using FPC 2.4.1 with GDB 6.8 under Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS on a all 64-bit
system.

As far as I understand the preferred debug information format is DWARF
instead of STABS. This brings me to a few questions.

* Does DWARF info have all the features STABS had? If not, what does STABS
  have that DWARF doesn't? I read somewhere that STABS supports property
  getter methods where DWARF can't - is this true?
  Switching to STABS by recompiling all my code and trying to run it via
  Lazarus IDE, the IDE instantly crashed and couldn't even start my
  application - so I couldn't test STABS and switched back to DWARF.

* What version of DWARF v2 (-gw2) or v3 (-gw3) is recommended?

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/