[fpc-pascal] -Twin32 linker woes

Adriaan van Os fpc at microbizz.nl
Thu Mar 11 15:28:00 CET 2010

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2010, at 12:28, Adriaan van Os wrote:
>
>> Marco van de Voort wrote:
>>> dlls are usually not $linklib'ed in FPC. What happens if you simply
>>> omit the
>>> linklib?
>>
>> Well, then the linker complains about unresolved symbols.
>
> You have to mention the name of the dll in the procedure declaration:
>
> procedure test; stdcall; external 'dllname';

I assume ".dll" is added only if "dllname" doesn't have an extension ? For example, Apple's
QuickTIme SDK for Windows is distributed with .lib files to link with and if I look up the
corresponding ddl in the WIndows system32 directory, it is "QuickTime.qts", not "QuickTime.dll".

It looks like the dll is not checked at link-time to see if e.g. the stdcall-mangled names match
and the routine is present ?

Thanks for the info, the software links now.

Regards,

Adriaan van Os