[fpc-pascal] playing sound files (linux and windows)

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 10:21:04 CEST 2010

On 15 June 2010 07:44, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Op 2010-06-14 15:37, Graeme Geldenhuys het geskryf:
>>
>> Has anybody managed to play sound files under both Linux and Windows?
>
> Thanks for everybody's responses. I'll work my way through all of them
> today. Now I understand all the comments on the net about the state of
> audio (and gaming) on Linux. It's a damn mess with 1000's of options and
> each one in a different state of development or functionality.

You'll probably find that there's 1000's of sound libraries for
windows, too.  There are different concepts here:  sound architecture
in the kernel (alsa, oss (deprecated)), sound daemons (pulseaudio,
jack, arts, esd), file format reading/writing and decoding of codecs
(mp3, ogg, etc).  On top of these you get the libraries that try and
make this cross platform.

You can do _very_ cool things with audio on linux.  I've got a friend
that runs a recording studio on ubuntu :)

Henry