[fpc-pascal] Pascal dialect -- was: Re: fpc-pascal Digest, Vol 72, Issue 12

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 14:35:48 CEST 2010

Op 2010-06-04 14:09, Michael Van Canneyt het geskryf:

> Personally, I fail to understand what people are complaining about.
> I make my programs with the tools available, and they work damn well.

Michael, the thing is that sometimes somebody will come up with a better
idea for something - yes we can sometimes think of better ideas/designs
than Borland, Embarcadero or Microsoft. They are just developers like we are!

But take a simple idea like adding Observer support to the RTL. If you
didn't support that idea, and only I proposed it.... And if we had to go
through the same arguments as before, the simple answer would have been
that NO it will not be added. EVEN though it will not break any existing
code. Then on top of that, you get people proposing stupid ideas like
implementing your own RTL simply to add one little feature.

Yes the Observer issue got resolved (hopefully), but such arguments really
discourages a developer from outside the core team to propose something in
the future. Why must we always struggle with proposals - fighting an uphill
battle all the way. Some of us don't give a toss about Delphi compatibility
(we are programmers, we can work around such problems), and yet proposals
get refused even if it doesn't break Delphi compatibility (simply because
Delphi doesn't have that feature to start with), or we caught the core team
on a bad day. In the end the FPC project suffers because it couldn't
improve as quickly as some of use would have liked, or those developers
move on to something else.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/