[fpc-pascal] WriteComponent not outputting a hierarchy of components?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Jun 4 09:18:43 CEST 2010

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 00:33:18 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 June 2010 22:55, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > I other words: There are two tree like structures: Owner and Parent.
> > Parent is optional and will make your stream files more readable.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> > Readability.
>
> I can't think that's the reason. D1 thru D5 (or D7) saved dfm files in
> binary format. So there was no readability to speak of.

Afaik the you had always the possibility to edit the form as text
format. The binary format had a few advantages when saving to disk.

> Also the only people that actually look (and care) about the dfm/lfm
> files are the IDE designers. Normal developers almost never look
> inside those files (unless something major screwed up - in which case
> they should have made backups).

Almost never is not never. I guess almost every developer has looked it
it.

There is also another reason:
The parent property is set before all other. This is important to
reduce overhead, especially on the early windows versions.

>[...]

Mattias