[fpc-pascal] installing or using multiple versions of FPC on linux

Bernd Kreuss prof7bit at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:18:16 CEST 2010

Currently I have the latest svn of FPC installed (make install) which
results in all files being installed where they belong, the binary being
in the search path and fpc.cfg in /etc and I can easily use it with Lazarus.

Now I want to test something I wrote whether it will compile with an
older version of FPC and I even need to recompile the entire Lazarus
with the older FPC because it is a patch for Lazarus itself.

What is the easiest way to have a second installation of FPC around that
I can easily switch to on the same machine without having to change half
a dozen paths and moving config files around?

I have thought about switching compilers system-wide by simply having
two compiled versions in two separate directories lying around and then
simply "make install" in one of them or in the other one to switch
between them. Does this make sense or is there a better (recommended)
way of doing this?