[fpc-pascal] methods of an object to create others objects

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 00:17:01 CEST 2010

On 7 July 2010 00:09, Andrew Brunner wrote:

> Whew,  Ok.  Years back Delphi (the experience I'm drawing on)
> Object.Free could not be done.  Now that I know FPC does the check for
> nil I probably won't be using FreeAndNil anymore.  But this raises a
> large concern for me.  That is the EXTRA if statement being called for
> every destruction of every object will lead to a decrease in high

Delphi and Kylix has done the exact same thing for years. In this case
FPC is just Delphi compatible.

As for the extra check causing a hit in performance - I can't say I
have ever noticed it in our projects where we often create and destroy
80,000+ objects. It's a safety net, and a handy one.

Maybe you can put together a speed test app and post your results. One
test calls .Free, the other test calls .Destroy

  - Graeme -