[fpc-pascal] Why limit string constant to 255?

Jichao Yang jcyangzh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 16:23:40 CET 2010

Hi all,I have one question about the free pascal programming language: why
limit string constant to 255?

write('a x 256');
would produce 'Error: Constant string can't be longer than 255
chars',with fpc 2.4.0 default/objfpc/delphi/tp model.
But gnu pascal would compile this well.

On the other side,I see no meaning to limit constant string to
255 chars.Sometimes,I would need to construct some
constant string longer than 255 chars,then I could only use the '+'
operator,but it seems rather silly and inconvenient.
(is there any other way to do this?please feel free to correct me).And there
should be no compatibility problem with
the legacy code:they should compile well.

So why the limit?

regards.
jcyangzh.