Fw:Re: [fpc-pascal] I have some qustions about free pascal

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Wed Feb 10 13:17:38 CET 2010

On Wed, February 10, 2010 11:51, åé wrote:
> From:  "Tomas Hajny"<XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz>;
> Date:  Wed, Jan 13, 2010 01:06 AM
> To:  "FPC-Pascal users discussions"<fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org>;
> Cc:  "åé"<799945920 at qq.com>;
> Subject:  Re: [fpc-pascal] I have some qustions about free pascal
>
> Do you refer to using the unit source file (*.pas) or the compiled files
> (*.tpu/*.tpp/*.tpw)? The compiled unit files cannot be used with FPC for
> various reasons.
>

>>>   Can you send me the help files of Free pascal?
>>
>> There are here for download or consulting the html version:
>>
>> http://www.freepascal.org/docs.var
>>
>>>  Third,I can't input Chinese in my program compiled by Free pascal.
>>> Can you give me some advices ?
>>
>> Could you explain what kind of user interface you are developing and
>> in which operating system?
>>
>> I think chinese input should work in Lazarus programs:
>> http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/
>
> Considering the references to TP 7.0, I'd suspect that the poster
> referred
> to console programs. Information about the target platform is obviously
> still very important, of course, and a sample program showing which
> particular functions/units are used for data entry together with
> description of the observed behaviour / problem is important.
>
> Tomas
>

> I am using Free pascal in Windows XP

OK.

> I was trying to use compiled unit files

That is indeed not possible.

> I want to know how to using assmblely language in Free Pascal
>  Can you tell me some way to learn Assembly Language??

These two are obviously separate topics. Free Pascal documentation (see
the URL provided in one of the previous responses in this thread or our
WWW pages) provides information on how to use assembly language in FPC.

Learning how to program in assembly language is matter of various
documents and tutorials including those available freely on Internet
(obviously always specific to a particular CPU type). However, you should
consider whether this is really necessary and appropriate depending on the
task you want to achieve. Many tasks formerly achieved with use of
assembly in the old DOS days with TP/BP need to be done differently
nowadays using the APIs provided by the respective target platform (e.g.
Win32 or Win64 in your case of WinXP) and use of assembly is usually not
necessary for those tasks any longer. Assembly language may be still
useful / appropriate for some very specific performance critical tasks
(but for successfully tackling those one already needs to understand
assembly and various performance implications for the different CPUs very
well, otherwise the result may easily get worse than when writing your
code in a higher level programming language like Pascal and relying on a
good compiler for translating your code into optimized assembly), or for
some low-level programming (e.g. special access to hardware like when
programming drivers, but even that has rather special implications
depending on the chosen platform).

> I am referred to console programs

As mentioned previously, please, provide a small compilable program and a
description of what doesn't work for you according to your expectations.
Creation of a bug report in our bug repository may be appropriate there.

>  but I also want to learn how to make GUI
> program

There are different approaches to this, using Lazarus may be one of them,
but which one is appropriate for you depends on your needs and
expectations and I'm clearly not the right person for providing advices on
this topic.

Tomas