[fpc-pascal] Lifetime of a database (PostgreSQL) connection

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Dec 31 20:37:36 CET 2010

I've just taken our name server down for maintenance, and noted that a
db-aware app I'd left running ground to a halt despite the fact that it
was only activating queries, not establishing new (named) connections.

The connection was being made by host name rather than by dotted-quad
address, resulting in a long-term handle associated with the
TPQConnection object. Whenever a TSQLQuery is activated, it results in
the opening of a short-term handle, if I'm reading things correctly
associated with a TSQLTransaction object which relies on the host
information from the connection object.

My expectation is that these short-term handles should not mandate a
name lookup, since the host name or address cannot be specified at this
point. Am I being unreasonable?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk