[fpc-pascal] The new Delphi 2010 RTTI

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Dec 22 19:52:48 CET 2010

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Dimitri Smits wrote:

> Sure, but I was talking about the RTTI unit and API compatibility. (hierarchical starting point is program, then package, then unit, then type)
>
> more pressing would be:
> - list of units in program (only once, hence the packages or monolythic executable)
> - list of types/vars/methods in that unit
>
> a TClass should be able to get its unitname as well.
>
> Your remark on the package support is invalid. The other way around IS
> valid as well, since the api of the rtti unit has some dependencies.  If
> Packages are ever implemented, then the api must be corrected.

So ?

Then we'll correct the API as far as needed. It's just a matter of installing
some hooks now (they'll probably be in Delphi's RTTI API anyway).
We did the same for threads, resourcestrings, variants and widestrings, after all.

Therefore, until the time someone finds a cross-platform way to implement packages,
I see no reason not to start on RTTI. They can perfectly be implented independently
or even in parallel.

Michael.