[fpc-pascal] Working Free Pascal android JNI example

Matt Emson memson.lists at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 7 12:12:50 CET 2010

On 07/12/2010 10:46, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> Still not ideal, however.

Well, no. As Android targets any processor - not just ARM. Indeed, there
are Intel based versions. Native is bad, and only come in to existence
to compete with other platforms with purely native compilation - and
then purely to counteract criticisms on the performance of games and
multimedia apps. Davlik was created for a reason - compile once, run on
multiple targets. Would it not be a better solution to create a Dalvik
back-end? As I understand it, Dalvik is very, far from a traditional
stack based Java VM and closer to a traditional register based processor
in design. I know little about it, but the benefits of Android, as a
platform, are completely lost when one focuses on native compilation.