Reason for Win64 instead of Win32 [Was: Re: [fpc-pascal] windows 32bit cross to 64 ?]

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Aug 17 14:05:31 CEST 2010

In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> > On windows, typically binary files are distributed and win64 bins don't work
> > on win32, so win32<>win64.
>
> That is a bit unfair now. Comparing binary only applications to source
> only ones regarding portability.

There is nothing about fairness or not here. It is simply a bit different
tradition in what is considered compatible, bianry or source.

> If I write a proprietary application for Linux and distribute it for x86
> only it doesn't necessarly run on a x86_64 Linux (at least not on mine,
> because I don't have the 32 bit libraries installed)

True, but apps enter distributions mostly as source. Some projects don't
even release binaries themselves.

> Also if I compile
> my application for x86_64 only than it won't work on x86 Linux. So
> Linux32 <> Linux64.

On the binary level, true. But the point is that it is the tradition on the
free unices (and even a bit Unix in general) to focus on the source. The
whole system is defined in C language level terms.