[fpc-pascal] State of FPC docs.rant

John jszcmpr at netspace.net.au
Mon Apr 26 03:45:04 CEST 2010

On 26/04/2010 8:23 AM, Joseph Montanez wrote:
> <snip>
>> I would suggest you checkout the latest copy of the documentation
>> SubVersion repository:
>>
>>   http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpcdocs/trunk
>>
>> Then submit code examples for the various units.
>>
> Are you seriously want everyone that wants to help out be forced into
> SVN and learn FPDoc syntax, submit patches, wait for integration? I'll
> be more then happy to move my work onto Free Pascal Wiki, but I think
> its a bad idea to funnel anyone that wants to add to docs even if its
> a typo change into that sort of process. At least in a wiki if someone
> wanted to make a quick change they could sign in and make it.
> <snip>

On the one hand, Graeme is probably right, in that putting it in the
docs is the *best* thing to do.  On the other hand, Joseph has a point -
I have worked out most bits of  FPC over the course of a few years, but
the documentation system is certainly a notable exception.  After
several reasonably serious attempts to understand it, I still have not
got the faintest notion *.

However, I do really agree that the last thing to do is to put it on yet
another site.  My suggestion would be to just put it on the Lazarus
wiki, if you are comfortable with wikis.  I did that with some database
documentation I wrote, not realising at that stage that it really
applied to FPC RTL rather than Lazarus.  Not one deleted it, no one -
sorry, only one person - was rude, and I think a few people have used it
since.  Significantly,  the people who REALLY need it probably won't
have worked out that it is technically in the wrong place (under Lazarus
instead of FPC) because it seems to take most people a little while to
get the difference sorted out anyway.

* If anything is in need of some user level documentation, it is the
documentation system it self.  I suspect that all the details are
documented, but no-one has written the overview, because the people who
wrote it knew it so well, they did not see the need.  Or perhaps I just
have not ever found it.

cheers
John Sunderland