[fpc-pascal] State of FPC docs.rant

Joseph Montanez jmontanez at gorilla3d.com
Fri Apr 23 00:33:12 CEST 2010

Vincent,

Never even knew that existed. It is a big problem with just slapping
commenting ability to docs. If its not being used its because there
isn't incentive for it. When you see the entire documentation blank of
comments would you be so inclined to add it? Documentation is so
important and as few barriers should be present to let people
contribute. Even more so when you give those powers to the public
there still needs to be a much larger drive to those running it to do
much of the work up front. They should be putting the comments up in
the first place.

Another issue is you need to monitor freshness. I.E
http://www.freepascal.org/contrib/db.php3?category=File%20Handling The
lot of units in there are broken links, no order of naming, and just
all together badly organized. This is in no way FPCs fault, they make
the compiler, a damn good one at that, but the comminuty behind this
is lack luster. Seems like the FPC team is trying to centralize
everything on their ends but doesn't have the resources. Although this
is a big rant on my part I will be more then happy to help with
anything.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Vincent Snijders
<vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl> wrote:
> Joseph Montanez schreef:
>>
>> <rant>
>>
>> In the end I think automated documentation is bad, and thats really
>> what I see with the current state of FPC docs. It might allow better
>> ability to stay sync with the current release but not allowing _easy_
>> social interaction to expand those docs, I think it is a big mistake.
>> </rant>
>
> Is this in response to removing the direct link to unit reference docs with
> comments at http://www.hu.freepascal.org:10000, that was not really used?
>
> Vincent

Joseph Montanez
Web Developer