[fpc-pascal] FPClassChart

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Apr 22 19:03:30 CEST 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:29:43 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>
> > In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
> >> Timing:
> >> The codetools of the IDE were developed before fcl-passrc was fully
> >> developed.
> >>
> >> Maybe now the fcl-passrc parser is at a stage where it becomes an
> >> option to use it in the IDE.

No. The fcl-passrc is not optimized for speed (it uses TList and
creates a lot of strings) and I would estimate it supports only
half of the fpc languages features.

> > Hmm, I thought that it was because fcl-passrc is for code that is mostly
> > correct, while an editor parser (e.g. highlighting etc) must be able to
> > recover to a sane (but not necessarily 100% correct) state after errors?
>
> That is certainly an element; Although I don't think the highlighter
> uses the codetools, as it is based on synedit. The codetools themselves
> are much less forgiving about wrong code. It's usually impossible to get
> any of the codetools to work if there is an error in the code somewhere,
> and not necessarily in the unit that you happen to be working in.

The idea is to help find errors early. It helps me a lot. Maybe not
that much for others.
But I plan to add some more skips/ignores.

Mattias