[fpc-pascal] Unicode characters in source code

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 12:03:03 CEST 2010

Tomas Hajny het geskryf:

> What do you mean by "messing with the -Fcutf8 parameter"? If you include
> some character constants outside the us-ascii set, you should always tell
> the compiler how to evaluate them, because the evaluation depends on the

fpGUI uses UTF-8 internally on all platforms. Specifying some Unicode
characters as a sequence of bytes stored inside an TfpgString type (alias
for AnsiString) causes no problems with FPC. To the compiler it's simply a
sequence of bytes. fpGUI has it's one UTF-8 file and string manipulation
functions.

The usage of #xxxx format also overcomes some problems with editors not
fully supporting Unicode or when you use a non-Unicode font in your editor.
For example, I use a non-Unicode font (Raize) under Linux with Lazarus IDE.
If I try and insert true Unicode characters inside the editor, things
screw-up and text is garbled.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/