[fpc-pascal] newbie questions

spir ☣ denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 21:44:00 CEST 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:36:06 +0100
Howard Page-Clark <hdpc at talktalk.net> wrote:

> On 19/4/10 3:50, spir ☣ wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Total Pascal newbie here. Looked for answers in various references and tutorials, but cannot find.
> >
> > Fore-question: Is there a (free)pascal teaching/learning mailing list? (Like python's "tutor" list.) If not, is this one a proper place?
> >
> > * How does one declare the type of set items?
> >     numbers : Set of Integer	// error
> >
> type
> 	Tbyteset = set of byte;
>
> > * How does one define the _value_ of a Set or Array?
> >     numbers := (1,2,3)	// error
> >     numbers := [1,2,3]	// error
>
> var
> 	byteset : Tbyteset;
>
> begin
> 	byteset := []; // empty set
> 	byteset := [0, 3, 101]; // puts literal values into the set
> 	Include(byteset, 27]; // or byteset := byteset + [27];
> 	Exclude(byteset, 3); // or byteset := byteset - [3];
> end;
>
> Note that set types are limited to 256 elements of ordinal types
> (integer, char or enumeration).
>
> Howard

Thank you.
Does this mean that to be able to define a literal value like "byteset := [0, 3, 101]" for a set (and probably for an array) I must have defined a custom type for it; correct? (It's the only difference I see with my trials: numbers in my code is not of a custom type but simply a var of type "Set of Integer".)
What I mean is, if the value is a literal, instead of only declaring the var then defining its value, one must first make a custom type for it? I don't understand the need & purpose of custom types except for records & enums; but this may be caused by the fact I come from dynamic languages.

Denis