[fpc-pascal] "start" Lazarus

spir ☣ denis.spir at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 18:40:54 CEST 2010

Hello,

Newcomer here.
Seems stupid, but I had a hard time in simply starting Lazarus -- on Ubuntu. When I typed "lazarus", I got an error message about a lazarus program from another package. Finally thought at the "Application" menu, which I else never use. Then, copying the launcher to the desktop I could see its properties, mainly that the command is "startlazarus".
So, added the following note to the Lazarus tutorial and the installation page, on the wiki:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Tutorial#Getting_Started_-_Your_first_Lazarus_Program.21
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus#Ubuntu_.2F_Debian

Note: on Linux Ubuntu at least, the command to start Lazarus from a console is "startlazarus". Else, if you installed it from a Debian package, you should have a Lazarus menu entry under Application/Programming.
(Issue: there is an ambiguity with a program also called "lazarus" from a "tct" package available for Ubuntu).

Hope this helps new newcomers ;-)

Denis