[fpc-pascal] Dosemu problems compiling

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Mon Apr 5 23:32:18 CEST 2010

On Mon, April 5, 2010 21:38, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> On 05 Apr 2010, at 21:21, John Coppens wrote:
>
>> Anyone had a similar experience?
>
> As the DosEMU output says: "ERROR: Please report the contents of
> ~/.dosemu/boot.log at
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=457447&group_id=49784&func=browse"
>
> This is a bug in DosEMU.
>
>> (NOTE: I tried dosbox too. When I ran 'fpc', the screen output was
>> garbled. Tried several options, but couldn't get that to work).
>
> And that's a bug in DosBox (furthermore DosBox is not supported for
> running arbitrary DOS programs, only for playing games -- although I guess
> you could write a DOS game in FPC and use that as case, since it'll
> probably have the same problems).
 .
 .

...especially if it was a text-mode game (I guess the trouble with FPC
output comes from buggy console support which is probably not that well
debugged in DosBox because that's usually not very important for games). I
may be completely wrong though. ;-)

>> I'm trying to get a program compiled for use under DOS+extender (or
>> win32). I looked up the possibility to cross-compile, but that doesn't
>> seem possible under x86_64 (no 32bit targets)?
>
> You have to build an x86_64 -> i386 cross-compiler first (or use a native
> i386 compiler, since all x86_64 platforms I know of can also run i386
> binaries). You will also need cross-binutils targeting DJGPP 2.x to be
> able to link.

...or you can compile with -st and (assemble and) link under DosEmu /
DosBox if the DJGPP binutils work correctly with either of them... Not
necessarily very elegant, but a possible solution if you cannot find or
compile the cross-binutils.

Tomas