[fpc-pascal] Checking Linux process existence (child or not) without OS command ?

fpclist at silvermono.co.za fpclist at silvermono.co.za
Mon Sep 21 16:36:50 CEST 2009

While scanning /proc may not be portable, the question asked is about checking
for a running Linux process. The only way I know is scanning all directories
within /proc (which as you all know are the id's of the running processes)
and checking for the process file name and the process command line. If a
match is found, you can assume that the process is acknowledged by the kernel
as running, although the process could be a zombie process. You can then
further deduce whether the latter is the case by scanning  /proc/xxx/~cwd
which will be unreadable (unable to be openned) if the process is a zombie
process.

If someome has a better way, please tell.