[fpc-pascal] $IF documentation - missing help

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Tue Sep 15 15:24:57 CEST 2009

Marco van de Voort het geskryf:

> How to do this depends on how far back you want to support (1.0.x don't even
> support $IF), and far into the future.

FPC is free, so I only support up to the previous release. There should
be no excuse not to upgrade (this is very different from Delphi). tiOPF
support Delphi all the way back to D7. I don't do that for FPC.

> Afaik FULL_VERSION was introduced in either 2.2.2 or 2.2.4 to fix at least

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^ should be FPC_FULLVERSION.

------------------------------
$ git log --grep="FPC_FULLVERSION"
commit 05a4a0dadd7d712709d35129345bd06ede45e645
Author: Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>
Date:   Sun Aug 3 09:31:50 2008 +0000

    + defined FPC_FULLVERSION as integer constant containing the version,
      release and patch level are always two digits so the version can
      be compared numerically: so 2.2.2 results in 20202, resolves #11568

    git-svn-id: http://svn2.freepascal.org:8080/svn/fpc/trunk@11504
3ad0048d-3df
------------------------------

I'm not sure what release version that was (r11504).

>   {$if FPC_FULLVERSION>=20300}  //2.3.4 would be encoded as 020304

Excellent, your example is going to work better than VER2_3 or VER2_4
because it will still apply for FPC 2.5 etc...

Luckily I looked this up in the prog.pdf, even though I don't have
$MACROS ON defined, the compiler for some reason never complained about
my usage of FPC_FULLVERSION. Umm, I wonder if this is a bug, or if the
docs are wrong (section 2.2 in prog.pdf)?

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/