[fpc-pascal] Who said Pascal isn't popular

"Vinzent Höfler" JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Sat Oct 17 20:42:42 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>:

> I have been programming solely in Object Pascal for the last 9 years.
> I dab in Java every now and again (but not for any production
> software). I also read a lot of C/C++ code which I rewrite into Object
> Pascal for whatever reason. So just like me being able to read and
> understand languages I don't earn a living in, so should C,C++,Java,C#
> etc developers be able to read and understand Object Pascal.

They do (sometimes at least). Still they write it as they would do in C.

> A quick study of some language reference docs and a few examples
> should be all you need to get started.

A quick study of the language reference doesn't tell you why types suddenly are important. Why visibility isn't global anymore. Why modules are compilation units and not include files etc. pp.

Those ideas can be totally new to a C-programmer. - And then they start moaning about the awkward syntax of "begin" and "end"... ;)

Or, as the old saying is: One can write Fortran in any language.

Vinzent.