[fpc-pascal] pointer arithmetic help required

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Fri Oct 16 10:39:54 CEST 2009

>> Now I know why vendors of newer languages (Dephi, Java etc) are trying
>> to hide pointers from programmers. They are very tricky to work with -
>> and give errors without warning!
> Especially when compiler and programmer are both trying to outsmart each other. :D

Yes. But I never needed pointer arithmetic in my programs even when
using pointers heavily. I always use arrays (of pointers) or records
(with pointers) where the pointers point to well defined data types. I
an a bit astonished that pointer arithmetic is even possible in Pascal.
Yet another C-style crept in.