[fpc-pascal] Re: Illogical automatic dereferencing

Reimar Grabowski reimgrab at web.de
Tue Oct 13 16:21:30 CEST 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:42:11 +0200
Guillermo Martínez Jiménez <gmartinez at burdjia.com> wrote:

> If you have "p: PINTEGER" then you're assuming you're accessing to ONE
> integer.
No, YOU assume that. I assume that I am working with a memory address. If it is a single integer or the first element of an array or the second field of a record depends on MY usage. That's the way it is and that's the way it should be. Nobody forces you to use pointers. Most of the time there are ways around pointer usage. And if not you are either dealing with C/C++ or some other low level stuff and then you should know what you are doing.

R.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?