[fpc-pascal] readonly variables

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 16:51:54 CET 2009

Jonas,

Thank you. I certainly will make an attempt to tone down a few of my
remarks which I admit were inflammatory. I assure everyone here
though, my purpose in conversing on these lists is to help improve
FPC, so far by discussing easy to resolve and reproduce technical
points. I personally find it quite irksome to when someone repeatedly
interrupts a discussion by injecting false information. Especially so
when they continue despite being presented with easily verified facts.
My poor manners put aside for the moment, if someone states ~this is
nowhere in documentation~ and is then fact checked showing the
opposite, I expect to hear back from him with an "oh yes, you are
correct. the documentation does contain that information". After that
we could move on to other topics such as is this behaviour correct,
shall we revise to documentation, what impact will changing the
behaviour have on developers? Now putting my bad manners on the table,
I admit to quickly escalated a situation, with little to no
established rapport, but I was also correct in my facts.

Having said all that, Jonas, what is the actual implemented behaviour
of FPC? Does it 0 initialize heap memory at startup or not? If not,
what is the justification for not doing so when this has been a long
established behaviour of Delphi?