[fpc-pascal] Generic type declaration example versus manual.

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at mastermaths.co.za
Mon Nov 23 07:50:49 CET 2009

Anthony Walter wrote:
> "FreePascal did this before something else so we shouldn't change"
>
> Forgetting the whole argument about who was actually first, I have to
>  ask what difference does it make?

I'm not a FPC developer, just a FPC user. But even I can see the logic
behind there choice.

FPC implemented a lot of things before Delphi. So first off, why must
FPC wait until Borland (and the time) and now Embarcadero finally wake
up and start modernizing there compiler.

FPC having already implemented it, Embarcadero could have taken a look
at FPC and keep compatibility that way. Why must Delphi always be
different to FPC, when they are always the last one to implement
something??  Delphi seem very uncooperative with FPC... the relationship
being very one-sided (only from FPC's side). After all FPC is helping
Delphi promote the language, so working together could be a win-win
situation.

>From the FPC side. Why must FPC developers always do things twice? Once,
long before Delphi, and then again, after Delphi implements it
differently. That also means all FPC developers having used those
features now have broken code - no backward compatibility for FPC
developers itself??? That's a bit unfair don't you thing?

Simple solution for Delphi developers is simply to give up on Delphi and
move over to FPC? Same language, similar features, always stay
up-to-date, have better support and only one compiler to worry about!
Our company did that 5 years ago and haven't regretted it for one second!

> Really, that attitude is quite the turn off.

So is the Borland, CodeGear & Embarcadero attitude towards Free Pascal!

> There there these incompatibilities causing me to avoid language
> features. I'd like to use them but just won't (Operator overloading

Simple solution as I mentioned - stick to one compiler only... Switch to
FPC!

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/