[fpc-pascal] How to solve "variable does not seem to be initialized" compiler hint.

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Nov 18 17:58:02 CET 2009

On 18 Nov 2009, at 17:53, Zaher Dirkey wrote:

> In Delphi there is ZeroMemory, i guess it is windows API, can we have
> one in FreePascal to use it instead of FillChar.

What is the problem with fillchar? (other than that it prints a wrong hint in some cases.

Also note that the difference between hints and warnings is exactly that hints are not guaranteed to be 100% correct or relevant in all situations; if they were, then they would be warnings. Hints are mainly intended to help you scrutinise your code more closely in case there's a problem you can't find, by flagging things that *might* indicate a problem. Getting all code hint free is probably not even possible (or desirable).

Jonas