[fpc-pascal] Re: [fpc-devel] Installing "fpc-2.4.0-0.rc1.src.rpm" to OpenSuse 11.2

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Tue Nov 17 00:11:26 CET 2009

On maanantai, 16. marraskuuta 2009 11:15:59 Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> Well, I think the package is normally installed. But this package
> contains the sources to compile the package itself. Normally you don't
> need it. The package contains only two files: fpc-2.4.0rc1-src.tar.gz
> and fpc-2.4.0rc1.spec. It is installed in the packages-source dir of
> your system. On Fedora it is: /usr/src/REDHAT/... I think SuSe has
> another place for them.

Right, yes. It is /usr/src/packages.
I was looking for /usr/share/fpcsrc or similar like older Suse packages have.

> > One more thing. Page
> >   http://www.freepascal.org/develop.var
> > has tells how to get latest development version of FPC from SVN.
> > However it does not tell how to compile it.
> > ./compiler/README.txt tells to read "programmers manual" which is not
> > included. Now I am running "make all" at the source root dir.
> > It is compiling already a long time. Is it the right way?
>
> Yes.

I found the Programmer's guide under Documentation on free pascal web page.
It doesn't really tell to run "make all" but that created compilers ppc1,
ppc2, ppc3 and ppc386  anyway.

I am planning to use this svn version for Lazarus experiments.
Is it a good idea?
I selected the compiler and executable there but Lazarus complained about
fpc.cfg (and such) and doesn't work.
Maybe I will ask later from Lazarus list.

Juha Manninen