[fpc-pascal] Compiler Warning: Constructor should be public

fpclist at silvermono.co.za fpclist at silvermono.co.za
Wed Nov 11 12:41:08 CET 2009

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 09:22:30 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Flávio Etrusco wrote:
> > Graeme, I guess the OP didn't want to reintroduce the 'Create'
> > constructor with lower visibility, just implement a second constructor
> > with private visiblity.
> > It can be useful when implementing singletons and factories to avoid
> > some types of misuse by an unattentive coworker...
>
> The problem is that a constructor (in this case Create) in still always
> public. So that unattentive coworker can very easily use the default
> "public" Create() constructor and by-pass all your custom code in your
> "private" constructor.

Just a thought:

In FP, as with Delphi, TObject is the ultimate ancestor. Would it be possible
to add a modified version of TObject to the RTL where a default constructor
is not defined?

I know that TObject has a lot of functionality but would it be possible for a
user-defined class to be defined without having to inherit from anything? A
sort of user-defined TObject?

:=Nino