[fpc-pascal] Why can't 64bit FPC cross-compile 32bit

Rainer Stratmann RainerStratmann at t-online.de
Mon Nov 9 15:53:02 CET 2009

Am Monday 09 November 2009 15:06:23 schrieb Jonas Maebe:
> On 09 Nov 2009, at 15:01, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> > Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> >> Is it possible to create an .exe file at linux os when choosing
> >> target 'windows'?
> >
> > Yes - when you compile your applications using the cross compiler. The
> > crosscompiler wiki page explains it all. I have successfully created
> > Windows 32bit .exe files from my Linux system.
>
> You don't need a cross compiler for that. An FPC binary can only
> generate code for a single target processor, but it always supports
> all operating systems supported by FPC on that target processor.
>
> What you do need, are
> a) possibly helper utilities for that target system (assembler,
> linker, resource compiler, ... -- for win32 that's not necessary, as
> everything is built into the compiler already)
> b) a compiled version of all rtl and packages units for that target

I got Lazarus on a debian netinst system with this script:

#!/bin/sh
 gpg --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu:11371 --recv-keys 6A11800F
 gpg --export 6A11800F | apt-key add -
 echo "deb http://www.hu.freepascal.org/lazarus/ lazarus-stable universe" \
     >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/lazarus.list
 apt-get update
 apt-get install lazarus

Is it possible to get the files you mentioned with a similar easy method?