[fpc-pascal] Re: Enums RTTI/WriteStr & Mmacpas

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Nov 5 14:52:56 CET 2009

On 05 Nov 2009, at 14:27, Richard Ward wrote:

> Will readstr and writestr procedures be able to take multiple
> parameters for the variables or just one?

They are identical to regular read/write, so multiple parameters are
possible.

> Also, I have been trying to purge my code of anything to do with
> Mmacpas mode so it can be compatible with the new Objective C
> extensions being worked on in preparation for "PasCocoa/iPhone
> development" (or whatever it may end up being named.)

I don't think that's required. Afaik, you can perfectly have

{$mode macpas}
{$modeswitch objectivec1}

(except that will no longer be able to use the word "class" as
variable/procedure name, because it's a reserved word when objectivec1
mode is active)

> The only keyword I am having trouble getting rid of is "return".
> There was some discussion of this previously as being able to
> replace "return" with "exit" but those two keywords are not quite a
> simple one word replacement in implementation.   Again, it is not
> something I can't do without but it seems a nice clean way of doing
> things.

The problem with allowing different keywords in different modes is
that they can conflict with variable or procedure names (see above).

> Although there may be a few people who need a backwards mac
> compatibility mode porting things from THINK Pascal, it might be
> considered to drop it since it seems to conflict with other compiler
> modes.

I don't see any reason at this point to drop macpas mode.

Jonas