[fpc-pascal] Access to RS232 ports with fpc

Holger Bruns holger.bruns at gmx.net
Mon Nov 2 15:20:05 CET 2009

Florian Klaempfl schrieb:
> Holger Bruns schrieb:

>>> I try to implement a direct port access. If this also leads to access
>>> errors, I should give it up. Embarassing.
>>>
>> Accessing ports is limited to ports < 03ffh, more ports cannot be
>> released with fpioperm. This means to me, successful serial port access
>> on higher addresses cannot yet be implemented with fpc. If this policy
>> can be ruled out, let me know.
>>

> This has nothing to do with fpc. Maybe you should read the ioperm man
> page and you might start to understand things.

I am new to linux and wrote only small things for MS-DOS before. As far
as I could read on the internet, fpc uses ioperm and iopl, and I will
try to use iopl to get access to the ports I want to use. The problem is
indeed the rights management, as far as I can read on several web pages,
which addresses my technical problem. The rights management cannot be
ruled out by an application like I intend to write. But I can deal with
it, I hope so far.

My posts to this list are not written against any person. My problem is
not an interpersonal problem, but a technical question, and I try to
find a good answer to it.

Holger