[fpc-pascal] Access to RS232 ports with fpc

Holger Bruns holger.bruns at gmx.net
Sun Nov 1 22:07:12 CET 2009

Jürgen Hestermann schrieb:
>> function SerRead(Handle: TSerialHandle; var Buffer; Count: LongInt):
>> LongInt;
>>    begin
>>    Result := fpRead(Handle, Buffer, Count);
>>    end;
>> i don't understand the declaration for "buffer" in the function
>> below, because no type is declared for "buffer".
>
> I believe that the type is irrelevant, you can use whatever you want.
> I think that it's just used by fpRead to buffer data. You only provide
> the space for the buffer but you don't need to read it directly. It
> seems that Count has to be the size of the buffer. But I am just
> guessing....
My hope was to read more than guessing. As I pointed out, the "buffer"
seems not to be filled with incoming data from the selected serial port.
Hence I cannot read just this data, and serread seems to be faulty. For
this reason I ask for an advice. I need to look on working sample code
to use this function in a working manner. In my example, serread replies
only, what has been written with serwrite right before. Not even
serflush, executed right after serwrite, can solve this problem to me.

Holger