[fpc-pascal] "Aborting " a socket operation under Linux

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Sun May 31 21:12:39 CEST 2009

En/na Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
> En/na Rainer Stratmann ha escrit:
>> Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2009 20:29 schrieb Luca Olivetti:
>>> En/na Rainer Stratmann ha escrit:
>>> Nope, no change.
>>
>>> I'm testing a connect to a non existent host in the thread and it won't
>>> terminate before the (quite long, 3 minutes, since it ignores the 5
>>> seconds I set) timeout, no matter what the value of linger->l_onoff
>>
>> In case of connection to a host:
>> Simply use nonblocking socket mode, than you get immediately a result.
>> And then you can write your own timeout function.
>
> Ok, the problem was that synapse used an integer instead of a timeval
> for SO_SNDTIMEO/SO_RCVTIMEO. I don't want to rewrite synapse and I want
> my program to work at least under windows and linux, so the nonblocking
> way is not an option.
> *However* that's not my problem: I expect that a close would interrupt
> the socket operation (so the thread can terminate) and it doesn't.

Well, I tried with a c program and it does the same (closing the socket
from the main program doesn't interrupt the ongoing connect in a
thread), so it's not a freepascal problem.
Googling for a way to abort the socket operation this mailing list
thread is the first result, so I guess that there's no way to do it :-(

Bye
--
Luca