[fpc-pascal] Re: Sourceforge Lazarus DEB Fails on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Prince Riley wmarketing3 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 10:03:03 CEST 2009

Time for Ubuntu and Debian to get these things fixed ...

After spending almost five hours attempting to install the lazarus ide on
Ubuntu Hardy Heron I've discovered that the souce of all this trouble is
a fight between the debian maintainer of the FPC debs and the Ubuntu folks
who have not sync'd the libraries and package names..

After reading this console log and looking thru literally hundreds of pages
and web notes I come to find out that none of the posted instructions to put
the lazarus ide on a Ubuntu system (Hardy) will work correctly .. it doesnt
matter how you try or malform the apt-get, its broken fundamentally at the
core and unless someone at Ubuntu or Debian get their libs names syncd back
up this will remain a problem.

The fpc users are caught in the middle here and forgive me for being so
blunt, but its neither fair nor professional for the Debian manintainer to
fail to notice all the posts that keep popping up on this problem without
resolving this and keeping it fixed .....

required:
  libglib1.2-dev libgdk-pixbuf-dev libgdk-pixbuf2 libgtk1.2-dev lazarus-src
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  lazarus-src libgdk-pixbuf-dev libgdk-pixbuf2 libglib1.2-dev libgtk1.2-dev
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 69.8MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 173594 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing lazarus-src ...
Removing libgdk-pixbuf-dev ...
Removing libgdk-pixbuf2 ...
Removing libgtk1.2-dev ...
Removing libglib1.2-dev ...
Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
prince at prince-ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
prince at prince-ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install lazarus-ide
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  lazarus-ide: Depends: libxi6 (>= 2:1.1.3-1ubuntu3) but 2:1.1.3-1 is to be
installed
E: Broken packages
prince at prince-ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install --force-yes lazarus-ide