[fpc-pascal] locale solution for unix systems

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 16:01:36 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:

> Well, if you are so strung up on orthogonality, maybe we should move the
> windows detection to clocale also :_)

Well it's simple for me really. I moved away from Lazarus LCL simply
because of inconsistencies between platforms. Hence the reason I use
fpGUI Toolkit. I would prefer FPC to be more consistent between
platforms compared to LCL.

> Just include clocale.

Part of using fpGUI Toolkit is to greatly minimise library
dependencies (compared to other GUI toolkits like GTK, QT, LCL etc.).
This allows fpGUI based apps to run on a lot more "bare boned" systems
and platforms (new and old).

> Make a libc-free plugin unit, and it can be added as package. I see no
> problem in that, as long as it is suitably multiplatform.

Yes, this is how I was going to start it off. Simply include the unit
in your project and locale files are parse and variables populated.

Regards,
  - Graeme -