[fpc-pascal] Documentation and posts suggestions [LONG]

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Sun Mar 15 23:33:21 CET 2009

Tomas Hajny writes:

> I'm not sure if Francisco meant the Reference Guide or possibly some
> examples appearing in the other documents;

I was looking specifically about the rtl pdf.

>if it's the latter, a more concrete example would be probably useful.

Where are the examples? I recall seem them in the past, but can't find them
now.

Also as I become more serious about FPC what would be the recommended order
of reading the docs?

I have:
prog.pdf
ref.pdf
rtl.pdf
user.pdf

Want to go over them in the coming week. I like to read as much as I can
before jumping into more serious development. Right now doing a couple of
simple utilities partly because I need them for work and partly to re-learn
pascal.

> eyes of a newcomer as suggested by Francisco. I don't think that the
> places I found (including the dedicated chapter for exceptions in the
> Reference Guide) make this rule very obvious, so there may be some
> room for improvement

Just looked at that part in the reference and agree that it could at least
mention it needs delphi or objectpascal modes.

> allowing to change the mode, but the newcomer may not even know /
> understand that he should be interested in changing the compiler mode

Exactly. Specially newcomers may have a good chance to not know what
documents and in what order they need to read them.
I think it may be a bit easier for someone coming from Delphi, but someone
just starting out, may not even know that exception handling is object
pascal and not part of the standard pascal.