[fpc-pascal] Creating FPC enabled websites

Bee bee.ography at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 09:02:23 CET 2009

> Well, drop by and I'll prove to you - hands down - that what our clients need
> simply cannot be done by web applications, because they cannot interact with
> the local desktop. Can your web-app burn a CD-ROM ? Does it have access to
> a smartcard reader ? Can it start and control MS-Word ? Can you drop files
> on it to send to the server ? I thought not, unless maybe you develop in Java,
> and then you are back in C/S...

Well, we all know that those kind of applications which requires full
access to local machine can't be replaced by web-based apps. That's
where desktop app shows its power. You don't need to prove anything.
:)

> And finally: can these apps work offline with NO internet connection ?
> I don't think so.

I've been playing around with (Google) Gears and (Yahoo) BrowserPlus.
Somehow web-based app could be made to work offline during no internet
connection available and then do synchronization after internet
connection available. So, it's possible, if it's really needed.

> Web apps: by all means, but not for every possible scenario...

Exactly! I believe all web app developers realize that web-based app
is never meant to do *every* scenarios. But, there are some cases
which web app suit the scenario very well, in some cases, it's even
the only way. The same thing also goes for desktop app. And, in some
cases, we need to combine both to get the best of each. ;)

So, let's us respect each other decision to whether go web or not.
Let's assume s/he knows what s/he is doing and the consequences. Now,
let's stop this web-or-desktop things and focus again to the topic of
this thread. Agree?

--
-Bee-

has Bee.ography at: