[fpc-pascal] Lazarus settings and roaming profiles in Windows

Micha Nelissen micha at neli.hopto.org
Thu Jul 16 18:54:59 CEST 2009

Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>> Then you must be the only one since everybody I know despises it. We use
>> multiple times login sometimes and then the settings are always messed
>> up.
>
> Well, this causes a headache with fully networked home drives as well ;)

If configuration files are per application it's much less of a problem.
And applications can implement a configuration file lock much easier if
they want to detect multiple activity. It reduces the per-login problem
to a per-application-start problem; which is much better already.

>> If the profile locally exists already it sometimes isn't updated but
>> afterwards it does overwrite the server's!
>
> Hmm, I know only of this if the a machine starts up with a messed up
> clock because e.g. of an empty mainboard battery.

Or a server that is not responding quickly enough or so ... Perhaps a 1k
euro server isn't sufficient after all ;-P

Micha