[fpc-pascal] Lazarus settings and roaming profiles in Windows

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 16 11:03:41 CEST 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Vinzent Hoefler wrote:

> On Thursday 16 July 2009, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
>>> I am not sure having a 100 MB lazarus *roaming* profile by default
>>> would be a good idea.
>>
>> That's true (although my settings are only 130 kB but they may grow).
>> Therefore it would be the best of all worlds to save the Lazarus
>> settings to the Lazarus directory.
>
> No. A sane environment shouldn't even grant you write permissions there.
>
>> Then you would not have any
>> problems when using roaming profiles (neither losing settings nor
>> performance impact when copying data on logon).
>
> But you would lose your settings when changing the machine, because then
> the settings aren't part of your profile anymore.

I will attempt to solve the discussion:
AFAIK Lazarus uses the getappconfigdir() call. I'll add a optional parameter
called 'Roaming', which defaults to 'False' (for backward compatibility),
and which can then be used to get the roaming profile directory.
On non-windows, it will be ignored.

It is then up to the lazarus devs to use the call to check for the 2
directories if they are so inclined, and possibly offer the choice.

Can everybody live with that ?

Michael.