[fpc-pascal] Persistent blocks in Lazarus

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Wed Jul 15 19:34:13 CEST 2009

 > Martin Friebe schrieb:
> Out of curiosity (because I never used this feature in any editor), what
> would you use it for?

I used it since Turbo Pascal 5 and found it in all other Pascal IDE's
(even in the text mode IDE of Free Pascal!). And it seems others would
like it too (see
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=4978.0;wap2).

With persistent blocks you can easily mark text for later use as a
(second) kind of clipboard which is local to the file you are editing.

You can easily move to the beginning or end (in most implementations
even if the block is "hidden"/not visible). That works as a kind of "go
to last working area".

You can also set visually marks with it (because it's highlighted) so
that when you are srolling up or down you see immediately that you
crossed that part of text.

Jürgen.