[fpc-pascal] FPC with Firebird SuperServer

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Jan 27 08:59:58 CET 2009

On 27 Jan 2009, at 08:36, Bee wrote:

>> 2) Is there other advice the forum can offer (eg. does Classic
>> remain a reasonable choice, is SuperServer support planned, etc).
>
> I simply made a symlink name libfbclient.so in folder /usr/lib which
> point to /Library/Frameworks/Firebird.framework/Versions/Current/
> Firebird then everything worked fine (as in Linux).

You can do that on your own system, but it's not a solution for
distributing your application (/usr/lib is off-limits to third
parties, and while you could use /usr/local instead it's just hackish).

The main problem to me seems that the database units are all very
rigid regarding how the database library should be found. There
appears to be no way at all to say where the library is or may be
located. And there also appears to be no way either to link to the
Firebird client libaries directly (e.g. by adding {$linkframework
Firebird} to your main program and embedding the framework in your
application bundle -- well, you can do that, but the firebird units
still won't work because they insist on having the library available
under a particular name and findable using dlopen).

Jonas