[fpc-pascal] cross platform version of IsCharAlpha()

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:09:48 CET 2009

Hi,

IsCharAlpha() is a Win32 API call.  I'm trying to convert code that
uses that call, to be Windows and Linux compatible. Does FPC have a
cross-platform version of that API call?  I did a text search through
the RTL of v2.2.3 and it only seems to have the Windows API version.

I can add a Linux specific function like this in my code, but as the
comment says, it is very primitive and clearly not ideal!

function IsCharAlpha(AChar: Char): Boolean;
begin
  // This is very primitive and doesn't take special chars or unicode into
  // consideration.
  if AChar in ['a'..'z', 'A'..'Z'] then
    Result := True
  else
    Result := False;
end;

Anybody got a better Object Pascal version of IsCharAlpha() I can use
and that we can add into Free Pascal?

Regards,
  - Graeme -