[fpc-pascal] REQ: official FPC's FCGI framework

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 10:12:08 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Bee <bisma at brawijaya.ac.id> wrote:

> You may find all the differences within the article I posted above. But the
> most wonderful thing is FCGI lives forever since it's a separate application
> apart from the web server (which acts as an FCGI client).

I replied before I read the article. Yes the article explains the
differences and reason well. Thanks.
I'm very keen to try FastCGI now, because database connections are the
exact issue I have in standard CGI apps. And no, I am not in favour of
going for Apache Modules as they are Apache version specific as far as
I understand.

At the moment our standard CGI apps have to do exactly what the
article says: read config files, parse session variables, establish a
new DB connection, build the new page and quit.  So far we have good
performance as I am very specific with what I retrieve from the
database and what goes into the HTML page, but we haven't tested our
product on a heavier load.

> FastCGI is indeed a forgotten treasure. It's not a new technology actually,
> most common web servers had supported it already though disabled by default
> (or requires additional installation).

We have a controlled deployment base and currently use Apache 2 under
Linux and Windows. But looking on my local development machine, my
Apache 2 only has modules for standard CGI (mod_cgi.so) and not
FastCGI. :-(   I'm using Ubuntu 7.10.

Regards,
  - Graeme -