[fpc-pascal] Small OSX GUI apps

Ingemar Ragnemalm ingemar at ragnemalm.se
Wed Sep 17 15:36:12 CEST 2008

Jon <gianniblitz at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Thank you for your replies Jonas
>

>> if you're coming from Win32 programming, you may want to read this:
>> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/win32porting/win32porting.html
>>

> Interesting document. Do I have to install Interface Builder and XCode to use FPC?

You need some GCC tools that are installed with Xcode. It is possible to
make installers for those only, but it is easier to install Xcode and
then trash any unneeded apps.

>>> Are any *simple* examples available for creating OSX gui apps?
>>>
>> There's one here (using Carbon):
>> http://svn.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/packages/univint/examples/
>>

> Excellent, just what I was after. Are there any more, especially Cocoa?

Not much with Cocoa yet, but there is a whole bunch of Carbon-using
examples here:

http://www.ragnemalm.se/lightweight

Check out distributions with all demos.

>>> - and which is best?
>>>
>> Depends on who you ask. But Apple has made it clear that they want to
>> move forward primarily with Cocoa.
>>

> How good is the FPC for each? Is there a separate install for both?

Currently (unless I have missed some significant breakthoughs) FPC
support for Carbon is excellent while Cocoa is more
experimental/preliminary. We will have to move to Cocoa GUIs simply
because Apple won't provide anything else, but I have some ideas about
making a nicer layer for hiding that. In particular, a cross-platform layer.

/Ingemar