[fpc-pascal] cwstrings and uclibc

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 14:28:22 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> In our previous episode, Graeme Geldenhuys said:
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
>> >
>> > Afaik all unicode support is based on iconv. Sooner or later.
>>
>> What is iconv?  I guess nothing to do with icons? :-)

After I sent the email I did:  man iconv

iconv - Convert encoding of given files from one encoding to another

I still don't see why you need to rely on 3rd Party libraries to do
character encoding conversions?

Maybe I don't understand the details that clearly, but is it really
that hard to convert a UTF-8 string to a UTF-16 string or vis-versa?
Surely such conversions could be implement in Object Pascal and then
be totally cross-platform - not relying on iconv in Unix/Linux/*BSD or
Cygwin under Windows etc..

Regards,
 - Graeme -