[fpc-pascal] Speed difference between intel/ppc on intel Mac

Tom Verhoeff T.Verhoeff at tue.nl
Fri Sep 5 21:07:19 CEST 2008

I have an Intel-based MacBook Pro.  Until recently, I still used
a PowerPC version of FPC.  PowerPC code on this machine runs through
(invisible) emulation.

However, I upgraded now to FPC 2.2.2 for Intel on mac.
And to my surprise one of my time-consuming apps is twice slower,
instead of faster.  The PowerPC version took 95 minutes, the
Intel version takes 195 minutes.  This is on exactly the same machine,
some OS.

It could be a compiler options issue.  But I tried to compile the
Intel version for fastest code (no checking, etc.).

Is there a way to see what options fpc actually uses (i.e.
to find out which options are in effect, e.g. useful when both
configuration file and command line options are being used)?

The app does not use floating point operations.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

	Tom
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Dept. of Math. & Comp. Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Technische Universiteit Eindhoven